Friday, March 7, 2014

Church Web Site? How Can We Be Found?

OK.

Without a doubt, a web site can be a valuable tool for a local church, particularly a young church that hasn't had a great deal of exposure and publicity.  Add to a web site, the use of social media (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc.) can really help get a church "out there" to be found by those looking.  Indeed, I have a friend, Brandon Cox who is leading a church plan in North West Arkansas, that had its beginning through social networking!  When that church plant (Grace Hills Church) launched, they already had a core commitment and a large number interested - and they have grown consistently since!

So about 8 months ago, I was able to get a web site up for the church I pastor here in Clinton, Arkansas: Clinton Missionary Baptist Church.  Within a few weeks, a search in a major search engine for "Baptist Church Clinton Arkansas" would show ClintonMBC.com as a first-page result!  I was happy.  I though I had figured out how to get a web site notice!

Fast-forward to today.  As I was making a few adjustments, out of curiosity, I used a few different search engines to search by those same terms.  Clinton Missionary Baptist Church only shows up via the Facebook page - and even then, well down the list!  Apparently, as the page has expanded with content, the page has actually fallen down the results list.  Even searching for "Missionary Baptist Church Clinton Arkansas" results in a somewhat disappointing return.

So - the question becomes - other than paying for advertising, how what else can I do to get search results that are more productive?  I know that being linked to from other web sites can help.  What else might help out?  Inquiring minds want to know!

No comments: