Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Part 2: Who is "I AM?"

This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God. John 5:18
I often hear said that "Jesus never claimed to be God". While in a very limited and literal sense, Jesus didn't use that exact phrase to describe Himself, between the above actions that the Jews were complaining of were understood in their time and context as laying claims to being "equal" with God - Yet there is non other. There is none like God. 
"I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he* you will die in your sins." John 8:24


(*of note - in the original language, there is no personal pronoun “he” there. Rendering literally “believe that I am”.) 
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” John 8:58
Compare this direct statement by Jesus to Exodus 3:14
God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’.”
Or in John 10:30-33, when Jesus said “I and the Father are one", The Jews picked up stones again to stone him.

Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?”
The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.”

To lay any claim to being God or equal TO God would be a brazen sin - Yet Jesus is commended for the claim.
Jesus identified Himself with the name/title of "I Am", which is one of the most powerful names God revealed of Himself.

No comments: